Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Kentucky Derby

The Run for the Roses



As most of you are not from Kentucky, you may not realize that this Saturday is a very important day in history. This Saturday we will celebrate the 134th running of the Kentucky Derby. The Kentucky Derby is a very big deal in Louisville. There are many festivities that are kicked off by Thunder Over Louisville and include the Hot Air Balloon Race, the Great Steamboat Race, the Derby Parade, Derby Festival Marathon, and many other great events.
I remember doing Derby units in elementary school. We were always out of school the Friday before the Derby because all the teachers went to the Kentucky Oaks. So to celebrate the Derby this year I decided to post a recipe for Derby Pie. Feel free to make this pie on Saturday and celebrate the Derby with us. In Raleigh, Derby coverage begins at 4 pm on NBC 17. In Charlotte, Derby coverage begins at 4 pm on WCNC. In Louisville, Derby coverage begins at 10 am for an hour and then again at 6 pm. Without further delay, here is the recipe:

The Baker Family's Derby Party Pie
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup melted butter
4 teaspoons KY bourbon (can be omitted)
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 cup pecans (you can chop them if you like, for a smoother texture)
6 oz semisweet chocolate chips

In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs and add the sugar. Mix in melted butter and bourbon. Stir until you have a gritty paste. Stir in cornstarch, then the pecans and chocolate chips.
Pour mixture into a 9-inch piecrust and bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.
Let cool for about an hour. The pie should be served warm with a dollop of whipped cream on top. (It can also be refrigerated overnight and reheated before serving.)
Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. I didn't grow up in KY but my favorite dessert when I was a teenager was Derby Pie from a local restaurant called The Green Jacket, named for The Master's Tournament's "green jacket" prize which was held in my hometown, Augusta, GA. How funny! Your pie looks the same. I may just have to try to make it this week.
    I miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum-o. I actually had this pie when I visited Louisville!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, thank you so much!!!! I lost the recipe Sandrine gave me when she brought us this pie (a year ago!!!!) I may have to celebrate as well and make it!!! Thanks for the recipe! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Youre awesome... I love your randomness thats not quite so random :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I watched it...and thought of you!

    I picked the winner too ;-) I told Zach I should start picking out my hat - two years in a row I pick the winner! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pie's low-cal too, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete