The day began as any other day, except for my killer headache. I woke up with the same headache that I went to bed with (and had when Sophie woke up to eat in the middle of the night). We were short on time for our 8:30 appointment, so I didn't have time to eat breakfast. Usually this isn't a horrible thing, I just eat lunch earlier. We get to the office, sign-in, wait, go back, and find out my two month old weighs 13 lbs 8 ozs!!! She then proceeds to pee all over the scale. It was pretty funny.
We meet this new doctor (we're rotating through all of them before we choose which one we will see consistently) who checks Sophie out, and then we start talking about vaccines. Apparently most parents are concerned about the number of sticks their child receives. Both the Dr and the nurse kept telling me they had combo shots so not to worry. I told them over and over that I wasn't concerned with the number of sticks. In the NICU I watched them stick her multiple times trying to find a good vein that wouldn't blow for her IV, eventually putting it in her head. She wasn't even a full day old! I guess they weren't really listening. So I asked them if she received all her shots that day and she had a reaction, how would we know which vaccine caused the reaction? She couldn't answer my question. I do want my child fully vaccinated because we want to be able to pick up and move overseas when God allows. It just seems like a lot of vaccines at one time. I would much rather spread them out a bit. This Dr was not going for that. So we end our conversation, and the nurse comes in the shots. By this point my head is killing me, and I'm feeling nauseous. I kind of felt the same way I did before I passed out in the NICU, so I asked the nurse if they had any OJ. Instead she bought me a Dr Pepper! The Dr comes back in and thinks I'm about to pass out because of the shots. It's not the shots!!! This crazy Mommy simply has a migraine, didn't eat breakfast, has a husband in Greensboro all day for work, and really just wants to curl up in a corner and sleep. Then the wonderful nurse bought me a muffin! She was so sweet. The Dr holds Sophie while I eat the muffin and drink the Dr Pepper. Sophie laughs and smiles at me the whole time and then falls asleep in the Drs arms. Sophie got her shots, and we stopped by Chik-Fil-A on the way home because that muffin wasn't cutting it.
We made it home safely. Sophie was a wonderful baby and slept in her swing while her mommy took a nap in the couch. Even Ellie joined me on the couch. We all slept for a really long time. After all that, I told Ron that I wasn't going to another appointment without him at least in the general vicinity. I'm sure had I been desperate, I could have called one of our neighbors and they would have somehow gotten me home. I just hate to be a burden on anyone. That was quite the adventure. Next time hopefully I'll remember to make time to eat breakfast.
Here are Sophie's stats for her Two Month Well-Check visit:
Weight: 13 lbs and 8 ozs (90%)
Height: 23.5 inches (75%)
Head: 16 inches (80%)
you poor thing! What's up with the headaches?
ReplyDelete