Joshua Elias
8 lbs 9 oz and 21 inches
born on October 3rd at 3:02 pm
(Scroll down to read his birth story. If you'd rather not, enjoy the pictures :). )
First bath
Footprints
He's had a long day :).
I was starving!
Eli was on the bed and Soph laid down next to him.
So sweet!
She loves her little brother.
Melt.my.heart.
She loves to kiss her brother!
So sleepy
Going home!
While we were watching a movie Saturday night, I would have a contraction every now and then, but I thought they were just Braxton Hicks contractions. They had checked me at my appointment on Tuesday and I was completely closed, so I was ready to wait. We went to bed late (of course!) and I woke up around 4:30 am with what I knew were real contractions. We had already decided that we wanted to labor at home as long as we could but I also tested positive for Group B Strep so I would need to have antibiotics. I tried to go back to sleep, and might have slept for a little bit, but not much. I utilized a hot bath to help me relax. Sometime while I was in the bath, Ron came in and told me that he had to move the PJ's trailer from the field (where it was parked for Denver Days) to the Denver store. He did say that if I didn't want him to go, he'd try and figure something out :). I wasn't going anywhere, so off he went. The contractions were becoming stronger and closer together, but still didn't seem consistent to me. Then I got a text from a friend who suggested a hot shower (Thanks, Terra!!). That is exactly what I needed. During my labor with the Sophster I used the shower at the hospital but it didn't feel hot at all. At home, I was able to make it as hot as I wanted! The only thing that would have made it better would have been a shower chair :). While I was in the shower, Ron returned from moving the trailer (thankfully!). He finished packing the bags, and we made sure Melody from SnookySmiles Photography knew we were on our way to the hospital so she could meet us there for our Birth Photos. While the contractions were strong, they weren't unbearable. Around that time Soph woke up. I am so thankful that God is involved in every detail! Even though I was convinced he wasn't coming until his due date or later, God saw fit to bring Ron's Dad and Step-mom through the area Friday. They thought it would be best for her to stay with us and his Dad would come back closer to the due date. Thankfully I agreed! We had wonderful friends and neighbors lined up to take care Soph but it was nice to not have to coordinate that while in labor. We were about to walk out the door when I asked Ron if he called the office to tell them we were coming. He hadn't. So we were delayed a bit as he called and we found out that none of the Midwives were on-call that weekend. Had I not been having strong contractions, this probably would have made me nervous.
Even though we called ahead, my room wasn't ready when I got there. I had to fill out the paperwork at the nurses station. Apparently my contractions were close enough together to make the Nurse Manager nervous because she checked on my room at least twice to see if they could move me yet. I finally got a room and they wanted me to get into the bed. What they didn't understand was that the contractions were so strong and close together I couldn't. The nurse checked me and said she thought I was 8 cm, but needed to have a nurse with longer fingers to check me just to make sure. Sure enough, I was 8 cm!! I couldn't believe it. Since they were adamant about getting the antibiotic in me and making me stay in the bed, we opted for an epidural (it was part epidural and part anesthesia since I was already so far along). (Of course I found out later from one of the Midwives that with the way my labor had been progressing, I didn't need the antibiotic because it would have been so quick he wouldn't have been at risk).
The epidural slowed things way down and they had to give me pitocin. But I was able to rest (as much as you can in the hospital), and spend time with Ron, Melody, and my amazing Labor and Delivery nurse, Renee. This epidural was awesome because I still knew when to push. Three pushes later, Baby Boy C was born at 3:02 pm! The damage was minimal compared to his sister who weighed 6 ounces less.
It wasn't until the next day that Baby Boy C had a name. We decided on Joshua Elias because Joshua means "Yahweh is salvation" and Elias means "The Lord is my God". Here is a link to our sneak peak of our birth photography. I LOVE them!!
Sophie LOVES her little brother. We are all still adjusting to being a family of four, not getting a lot of sleep, and already talking about number three ;).
#3, yaaaay!!! ;-) the only one around here talking about #4 is zach, LOL ;-)
ReplyDeleteLoved reading your story :-) I kind of need to squeeze you & that sweet boy!